Date:      Fri, 10 Apr 1998 00:30:14 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Dan Janowski <danj@3skel.com>
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, David Shanes <dshanes@personalogic.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Subject:   Re: Fw: Your Article "Freeware: The Heart & Soul of the Internet"

> We have not done much to enhance the appeal, visibility or
> accessibility issues. We can't fault ourselves because we are
> doing real work with our OS. But, confronted with the risk of
> being marginalized, we need to deal with these three things.

Yep!

> We should also be careful about panning Linux. We will only catch shit
> for it. As we all know this whole thing is really about cosmetics not
> merit. Panning MS does little good aside from satiating our own need to
> bitch about that which is lacking in merit.

I didn't mean to imply that we should take on a negative publicity
campaign with respect to Linux in my last message, though it certainly
reads that way if you look at it from the right angle.  What I was
referring to was more of a willingness to grapple with the "which is
best?" question rather than coming from a "linux sucks because .."
perspective.  We need to be more willing to say "WE ARE BETTER AT X, Y
and Z - CHOOSE US!" rather than always falling back to the "try them
all and see for yourself" argument - that may be the more asthetically
desirable of the two, but it just doesn't fly for most folks - they
are not interested in doing that research for themselves and resent
being told to do it.

> As I think about it, I get a sinking feeling that what we really lack is
> capital. Do we need a FreeBSD version of  RedHat or Caldera that will

Again, it's really not lack of capital so much as talent.  "But
capital buys talent" I hear you say, and to that I can only respond by
saying that it hasn't worked so far - we've had an open req for a
marketing guy at Walnut Creek CDROM for 3 years now and still haven't
found the right guy.  We're also willing to pay that person a more
than generous salary, assuming we can find a marketing guy who doesn't
go ``CD what?'' when we get to the job description part of the
interview, so it's really not the money.  It's finding the people who
are:

	A) Talented in marketing a product like FreeBSD or willing and able
	   to become familiar enough with it to do the job right.

	B) Available.

That's proving really really difficult here.

					Jordan