Date:      Thu, 15 Nov 2012 15:31:46 -0800
From:      "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@tristatelogic.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Advanced Format Drive ?

(This stuff would probably be a lot less confiusing if I actually knew
what I was doing, but...)

OK, Warren, I've just done the following steps.  The first two I drew
from the manpage examples, and then followed those up with two commands
from your tutorial.

  /sbin/gpart create -s GPT ada0    # manpage example is wrong, ad0 -> ada0
  /sbin/gpart bootcode -b /boot/mbr ad0  # manpage wrong again, pmbr -> mbr
  gpart add -t freebsd-boot -l gpboot -b 40 -s 512K ada0
  gpart bootcode -b /boot/pmbr -p /boot/gptboot -i 1 ada0

That last one, done at the suggestion of your tutorial page, has me
completely perplexed, because of what is said, very explicitly, in the
gpart(8) manpage:

     bootcode  Embed bootstrap code into the partitioning scheme's metadata on
               the geom (using -b bootcode) or write bootstrap code into a
               partition (using -p partcode and -i index).

Please note the use of the word "or".

The man page is telling me to _either_ use the -p option _or else_ use
the -p and -i options together.  But you are telling me to use all three
in one go!

Forgive me, but I'm confused.  (As you can tell by now, I am often easily
confused.  Sorry.)