Date:      Mon, 21 Sep 2009 14:29:09 +0300
From:      Kostik Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com>
To:        Igor Sysoev <is@rambler-co.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, d@delphij.net
Subject:   Re: fcntl(F_RDAHEAD)

--2bjkoQU/J7v2vW91

On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 03:12:45PM +0400, Igor Sysoev wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 10:40:27AM +0300, Kostik Belousov wrote:
>=20
> > On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 03:26:41PM -0700, Xin LI wrote:
> > >=20
> > > Hi, Igor,
> > >=20
DISKIO
LE only.
> > >=20
> > > I have ported this as a patch against -HEAD (should apply on 8.0-R but
> > > it's too late for us to add a new feature) plus a manual page entry
> > > documenting the feature.
> > >=20
> > > I've used F_READAHEAD as the name, but reading the manual page, it lo=
oks
> > > like we can just use F_RDAHEAD since Darwin seems to just distinguish=
 0
> > > and !=3D0 case so that programmers won't have to use #ifdef or someth=
ing
> > > else to get code working on different platform?
> >=20
> > What I dislike about the patch is the new kernel-private flag that is
> > eaten from the open(2) flags namespace. We do already have FHASLOCK,
> > so far the only such flag.
>=20
> We can change
>   int    f_seqcount;
>   u_int  f_seqcount;
>=20
> and can use highest bit instead of O_READAHEAD: anyway f_seqcount is shif=
ted
> to 16 bits left.

Or do the same trick as was done for FHASLOCK and override some flag that
is not saved after open, see FMASK.

Or split f_seqcount into two u_short fields, one for f_seqcount, second for
f_kflag, and use the later for FHASLOCK and FREADAHEAD. [We are trying to
not grow struct file unless absolutely neccessary].

--2bjkoQU/J7v2vW91

--2bjkoQU/J7v2vW91--