Date:      Mon, 17 Nov 2008 20:36:09 +0100
From:      Mel <fbsd.questions@rachie.is-a-geek.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Tsu-Fan Cheng <tfcheng@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: pkg_delete core dump

On Monday 17 November 2008 20:15:46 Tsu-Fan Cheng wrote:
> hi,
>     during recompiling some ports, I found my pkg_delete core dump on
> some ports (not all of them), when it dumped, it has something like
> this (print/acroread8):
>
> # gdb pkg_delete pkg_delete.core
> GNU gdb 6.1.1 [FreeBSD]
> GDB is free software, covered by the GNU General Public License, and you
> are welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it under certain
> conditions. Type "show copying" to see the conditions.
> This GDB was configured as "i386-marcel-freebsd"...(no debugging
> symbols found)...
> Core was generated by `pkg_delete'.
> Reading symbols from /lib/libmd.so.4...(no debugging symbols found)...done.
> Loaded symbols for /lib/libmd.so.4
> Reading symbols from /lib/libc.so.7...(no debugging symbols found)...done.
> Loaded symbols for /lib/libc.so.7
> Reading symbols from /libexec/ld-elf.so.1...(no debugging symbols
> found)...done. Loaded symbols for /libexec/ld-elf.so.1
> #0  0x2815dae6 in strcmp () from /lib/libc.so.7
> (gdb) bt full
> #0  0x2815dae6 in strcmp () from /lib/libc.so.7
> No symbol table info available.
> #1  0x0804b50c in ?? ()
> No symbol table info available.

<snip incomplete backtrace>

You will have to recompile pkg_delete with debug symbols to get any idea. To
do so, do the following (providing you have sources in /usr/src):
cd /usr/src/usr.sbin/pkg_install
make clean
make obj
make DEBUG_FLAGS='-ggdb' depend
make DEBUG_FLAGS='-ggdb' all install

If this gives errors, it's best to do a full buildworld/installworld.
--
Mel

    and never get to the software part.