Date:      Sun, 21 Feb 1999 00:26:26 +0100
From:      Paul van der Zwan <paulz@trantor.xs4all.nl>
To:        "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Slow seq. write on Seagate ST36530N

> > This did not improve anything , but I think I have found the couse.
> > In that modepage there is a DISC value which was 0 on the IBM and 1 on the
> > Seagate. I remembered a ' Enable disconnect' option in the Adaptec 2940  bios,
> > setting this to 'off' for both harddisks led to a huge performance increase on
> > the Seagate. If I also enable Ultra mode iozone write goes from 1.5 MB/s
> > to 12 MB/s ( a factor of 8 !!!).
>
> The 'DISC' bit in mode page 8 has nothing to do with disconnection.  Here's
> the description of it from the SCSI-3 spec:
>
> ================
> The discontinuity (DISC) bit, when one, requests that the device server
> continue the pre-fetch across time discontinuities, such as across
> cylinders (or tracks in an embedded servo device), up to the limits of the
> buffer, or segment, space available for the pre-fetch. When zero, the DISC
> requests that pre-fetches be truncated (or wrapped) at time discontinuities.
> ================

I did not change it but it triggered me to have a look at the Adaptec BIOS
settings.
I have done some testing and reenabled disconnection, preformance dropped to
less than 2MB/s writing.
After searching the freebsd-scsi archives I found out it might be related to
tagging, so I edited /usr/src/sys/cam/cam_xpt.c and added an entry to disallow
tagging for this drive. Back to 12 MB/s. So it looks like there is at least an
acceptable ( to me ) workaround.
Maybe the CAM maintainer can put an entry in cam_xpt.c for this drive ???
dmgs shows is as :
da1 at ahc0 bus 0 target 1 lun 0
da1: <SEAGATE ST36530N 1444> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-2 device
da1: 20.000MB/s transfers (20.000MHz, offset 15)
da1: 6208MB (12715920 512 byte sectors: 255H 63S/T 791C)

	Paul

--
Paul van der Zwan		paulz @ trantor.xs4all.nl
"I think I'll move to theory, everything works in theory..."