Date:      Sun, 1 Apr 2012 00:56:24 +1100
From:      andrew clarke <mail@ozzmosis.com>
To:        R Skinner <rocky@herveybayaustralia.com.au>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ps, clang and make variables

On Sat 2012-03-31 20:32:04 UTC+1000, R Skinner (rocky@herveybayaustralia.com.au) wrote:

> Stupid question, but I need to clarify and make sure I'm right here:
> what should I see as the running process if clang is compiling? ATM I
> see cc1plus.

clang for C, clang++ for C++

> I'm trying to set CC and friends make variables to clang for a build,
> but it doesn't appear to be 'sticking'. It seems to change the shell env
> to bash, but that shouldn't be the problem. So I'm trying to work out
> whats up.

I have this in /etc/make.conf:

.include "/etc/make.clang.conf"

and /etc/make.clang.conf itself:

.if !defined(CC) || ${CC} == "cc"
CC=clang
.endif
.if !defined(CXX) || ${CXX} == "c++"
CXX=clang++
.endif
.if !defined(CPP) || ${CPP} == "cpp"
CPP=clang -E
.endif
# Don't die on warnings
NO_WERROR=
WERROR=
# Don't forget this when using Jails!
NO_FSCHG=

This is from http://wiki.freebsd.org/BuildingFreeBSDWithClang which
talks about building the FreeBSD kernel & base, but it's also used by
the Ports system.

Another option is to set CC & CXX explicitly:

cd /usr/ports/*/foobar
make CC=clang CXX=clang++

> FWIW I'm trying to build libreoffice with clang as it doesn't build, or
> more accurately doesn't build and test correctly. It doesn't appear to
> honor the CC variables (CC, CXX, CPP, etc). Worth a shot anyway :)

I've never tried building LibreOffice at all, let alone with Clang,
but apparently it can be done:

http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/libreoffice-clang-success-td3788899.html

Regards
Andrew