Date:      Fri, 28 Jun 1996 15:07:14 +1000 (EST)
From:      "Daniel O'Callaghan" <danny@lynx.its.unimelb.edu.au>
To:        Joe McGuckin <joe@ns.via.net>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to...

On Thu, 27 Jun 1996, Joe McGuckin wrote:

> I would like to clone freebsd at my offics using a net install. How do I set up
> a server for doing FTP installs?
>
> Our net connection has gotten so slow of late, that a binary only install
> takes a couple of hours!

What I usually do it the following:

1. Stick destination hdd in target machine, and start a normal ftp install.
2. After disk is partitioned and labelled, and the install prog is
getting ready to unpack bindist, ctrl-C out of the install.
3. Put destination disk as a secondary hdd into a machine with FreeBSD.
4. clone this machine on to target disk with the commands:

mount /dev/wd1a /new
cd /new
dump 0f - / | restore -r -f -
mount /dev/wd1s1f /new/usr
cd /new/usr
dump 0f - /usr | restore -r -f -
mount /dev/wd1s1e /new/var
cd /new/var
dump 0f - /var | restore -r -f -

5. Remove target disk and put it into target machine and boot.
Note that target machine will think it is the cloned machine, so may
cause network problems if you plug it into the net before fixing its ip
address and name etc.

Danny