Date:      Tue, 27 Aug 2002 03:21:40 -0700
From:      Dave Hayes <dave@jetcafe.org>
To:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why did evolution fail?

George Reid <george.reid@oriel.oxford.ac.uk> writes:
> How nice it must be to life in a world so simple that you can obtain
> self-gratification simply by masturbating your own ego when people
> read and are incensed by your posts.
> Self-awareness is usually only a feature of evolved life forms.

Self-awareness is -rarely- found in any human organization or
community.  It's like finding ice cubes in boiling water; it's fairly
oxymoronic to be self-aware and be a "member" of a normal human
community.

Those who are self-aware (and others-aware, who said awareness should
be limited to the self?) know that "trolls" are a natural phenomena
associated with "communities". Both are drawn together in the dance of
"community" that passes for normal human endeavor these days, like
particle and anti-particle, dancing to annihilate one another in the
shifting arena of worldview expression.  "Trolls" are merely the
anti-particle to the "Contributors" particle.

To see trolls as a bad thing is to ignore what brings communities
together in the first place.

Balance is part of nature. It is not a bad thing. It is not a good
thing. It merely is.
------
Dave Hayes - Consultant - Altadena CA, USA - dave@jetcafe.org

Mind is the faculty, phenomena are the data; both are like
scratches in a mirror. When there are no scratches or dust,
the clarity of the mirror shows. When mind and phenomena are
both forgotten, then your nature is real.