Date:      Sat, 17 Mar 2001 07:18:27 -0700
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NO MORE '-BETA'

Terry Lambert wrote:

> > > So either quit doing '2' or use a variant of
> > > Terry's suggestion '-stable-rc'
> > >
> > > ~ % uname -srm
> > > FreeBSD 4.3-STABLE-RC i386
> >
> > Except that it's not a real release candidate.  Which is why we don't
> > just use -RC the whole time.  -RC means that we would actually feel
> > confident releasing that exact source on the CD's as foo-RELEASE.
> > This is not true for foo-BETA, as it is a time for people to test
> > stuff out and spot things that need to be fixed.
>
> So what's the difference in tags between a release candidate and
> a beta?

The real problem here is that the user isn't really asking (or cvsupping)
"-STABLE", they're really asking for "RELENG_4" and have been told that
is synonymous with "-STABLE".

Is there some way we can produce a "STABLE" tag that tracks the head of
the RELENG branch up to BETA, sticks there until the release cycle has
finished, then moves to the RELEASE point and advances again?

> ..."Beta" is well known to be a synonym for "my cat wrote the
> floppy disk driver"...

If only we were so lucky.  He's a great programmer, but far too lazy to
write open source device drivers.