Date:      Sun, 4 Jan 1998 15:35:40 -0700 (MST)
From:      Diana <deichert@wrench.com>
To:        John Kelly <jak@cetlink.net>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [fbsd-isp] Designing for a very large ISP

On Sun, 4 Jan 1998, John Kelly wrote:

> >> I'm doing some simple testing to see if FreeBSD is feasible as a
> >> terminal server.  My first test of 2.2.5-stable, using only two ports
> >> simultaneously, indicates there is considerable  efficiency loss due
> >> to transmit underruns.  Next I'm going back to 2.2.2-release which
> >> reputedly performed better, and I'll try the same test on a different
> >> box to rule out hardware contributing to the problem.

Are you using the standard ISA serial ports for your test?  There are
several multiport cards out there that have onboard processors.  Also
there are some "enhanced" 16550 based cards that someone has written a
patch to the sio driver to enable up 460kbps.  A terminal server will
need more than 2 ports that are standard on PC motherboards.

I've been running several boxes with the Cyclades cards for over a year
and am just bring up a new terminal server using the Cyclades 16z card
which is "supposed" to support up to 920kbps.

diana

Diana Eichert
IT Manager
McKinley Paper Company