Date:      Wed, 7 Mar 2001 12:10:18 -0600 (CST)
From:      Steven Farmer <steve@megahack.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ARCH flag in new make.conf

    Kris> * Jordan's warning added to make.conf is under debate, and I
    Kris> think it's excessive.

I'm happy to see CPUTYPE, but I've had recent firsthand experience
with the use of "-O -march=pentiumpro" breaking /usr/bin/make.  All
was well until the next buildlworld, when make would get SIGSEGVs at
various points. To recover, I had to go back to plain "-O" in CFLAGS,
cd to /usr/src/usr.bin/make, rebuild and install it, and then start
the buildworld again.  I was fortunate that make didn't die while
rebuilding make - it could have been worse.

This was a couple of weeks ago. I didn't post anything about it at the
time for a couple of reasons: first, there have been various "don't
come crying to us" pronoucements in the past from developers regarding
the use of anything but "-O" for builds. Second, I didn't want to
cause a bunch of "it's your hardware" postings.  It's NOT my hardware!

Well, ok maybe -march=pentiumpro tickles a microcode bug in cpus of a
particular stepping, so maybe that is "hardware".  But the fact is
that everything, so far as I know, works fine with plain "-O".  BTW -
I have a _genuine_ Pentium Pro, not one of those Johnny-come-lately
Pentium IIs or IIIs. :-)

It won't be the end of the world for me if I can't use CPUTYPE, but it
would be wonderful if there was a way to override the global CPUTYPE
setting on a case-by-case basis to fix the occasional breakage.  I'd
really like to have my cake and eat it too.

Just a thought.

Steve