Date:      Mon, 13 Jun 2011 17:58:25 +0300
From:      Aleksandr Rybalko <ray@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   H/W offload VLAN/PPPoE/NAT

Hi folks,

I work with System-on-Chip(SoC) Ralink RT3052F and I have a questions
which I think preferred to discuss here.

SoC have Ethernet MAC and Ethernet switch, they connected together
with two ports at MAC side called as GMAC1 and GMAC2.

MAC internally have so called Frame-Engine, bus that deliver packets
between GMAC1, GMAC2, CPU port, Discard port and PPE (Packet
Processing Engine)

Packet Processing Engine can insert/remove VLAN tag and PPPoE headers
and do NAT/PAT translations.

VLAN offload I will implement w/ IFCAP_VLAN_HWTAGGING and will use
EVENTHANDLER_REGISTER(vlan_[un]config, ...) to limit max vlan subifaces
to max 16 items supported by MAC. Right?

Problem with PPPoE offload, since chip support only insert/remove PPPoE
session header, so we need something like vlan clones, but for PPPoE.
And session setup still should be done at parent interface. Any ideas?

Another big question is a PPE, which seems just return packets to
driver after processing, so I don't have any idea how to correct
implement it. May someone help me with ideas, samples or something else
what may help me?

I would be thankful for any ideas.

WBW
--