Date:      Sat, 09 May 1998 15:15:57 +0200
From:      Philipp Reichmuth <uzsv2k@uni-bonn.de>
To:        hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Underclocking: 486

> You can underclock CPU's - and they do run cooler... I used to run a
> machine that was a 486DX4/100 with it's 'internal cache' disabled as I
> didn't have a heatsink...

If one can do without Pentium CPU power, I think a 486 is the best
choice at the moment anyway because there are a lot of them available at
very reasonable prices. You can get a 486 DX4/133 w/board fairly cheap
and run the bus at 25 MHz, so the CPU runs at 100 internally and you
don't lose the cache which is really a performance factor, esp. on the
DX4/1xx ones because they're larger. It worked well without a fan for
me, but the machine stood in a rather cool cellar. Installing a Pentium
cooler ;-) should keep temperature at bay as well. Performance should be
OK for router boxes, even though the PCI runs at 25 MHz there as well.
Doesn't have much impact on network or SCSI performance, however.

> I guess it might make sense to some people - I always prefer to have 'more
> than adequate' cooling though... ;-)

;-)

Philipp