Date:      Thu, 6 Sep 2001 09:05:54 +0200
From:      Raymond Wiker <Raymond.Wiker@fast.no>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Vinum vs. hardware RAID (was: RAID5)

Darryl Okahata writes:
 > Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org> wrote:
 >
 > > >   It's *SO* much easier to configure the 3ware controller ....
 > >
 > > Probably also more restricted, isn't it?
 >
 >      Yes.  However, for many users, it does everything that they need
 > and want: basic RAID 0, 1, 5 (probably not recommended), & 10.
 >
 > [ It's strange, considering that many "RAID users" are home users.  I'm
 >   constantly surprised by the number of hackers setting up "home RAID"
 >   systems (using the "on-motherboard RAID controller", the Promise
 >   controller, or something else like vinum or 3ware).  ]

	If every home user with a RAID setup went for one of the
fault-tolerant setups, I wouldn't be surprised at all. The lack of
sufficiently large and fast backup systems (compared to current disk
capacities) means that a fault-tolerant RAID is probably the only
practical way of protecting your data from a disk failure.

	I suspect that most home users actually go for RAID 0, though,
for the additional speed that gives. Sooo, instead of actually doing
something to improve the system reliability, they lower it. Sad, but
(probably) true.

	(I actually have a RAID 0 setup on one of my work machines. My
excuse is that the data on it is not critical :-)

	//Raymond.

--
Raymond Wiker
Raymond.Wiker@fast.no