Date:      Fri, 27 Jan 2006 09:55:17 +0100
From:      Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Gustavo A. Baratto" <gbaratto@superb.net>
Cc:        geom@freebsd.org, Ivan Voras <ivoras@fer.hr>
Subject:   Re: gmirror + ggate

--liOOAslEiF7prFVr

On Thu, Jan 26, 2006 at 06:47:06PM -0800, Gustavo A. Baratto wrote:
+> Thanks for the links Ivan...
+>=20
+> They answered some of my questions, but mostly they don't really describ=
e what I wanna do, because they mostly refer to more than one client mounti=
ng a gmirrored+ggated=20
+> device.  I want just one server to mount a gmirrored device, exported fr=
om two different boxes through ggated.
+>=20
+> Being more specific:
+>=20
+> - Servers X and Y will be file server. They will have big sized identica=
l partitions (for example /dev/da0s1f), that will be exported through ggate=
d, and of course not=20
+> mounted on servers X and Y.
+>=20
+> - Server A will ggatec the remote /dev/da0s1f devices from both servers =
X and Y (/dev/ggate0 and /dev/ggate1).
+> Then, server A will create the mirror with the devices ggate0 and ggate1:
+> # gmirror label -v -b round-robin data ggate0
+> # gmirror insert data ggate1
+> # mount /dev/mirror/data /mnt
+>=20
+> Just server A will mount /dev/mirror/data RW (or even RO).

There will be a problem when you lost connection to one of the servers -
ggate will return EIO (or ENXIO) on every I/O request, so gmirror will
mark this component as broken and will remove it from the mirror so it
won't be automatically reconnected when the connection come back.

I was wondering how to handle this better. I think we can return ENXIO
=66rom ggate and just disconnect provider on error !=3D EIO (without marking
it as broken).

--=20
pjd@FreeBSD.org                           http://www.FreeBSD.org

--liOOAslEiF7prFVr