Date:      Tue, 24 Sep 2002 13:03:06 +0100
From:      Richard Jones <freebsd-questions@jonze.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   PS/2 Mouse wheel

FreeBSD daedalus.info-plc.com 4.6.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.6.2-RELEASE #0:
Wed Aug 14 21:23:26 GMT 2002
murray@builder.freebsdmall.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/GENERIC  i386

Hi,

I'm really struggling to get the mousewheel working on one of my FreeBSD
boxen.

I have two PC's connected with an unbranded KVM switcher, both dual
booting FreeBSD 4.6.2 stable/Gentoo Linux.

Under Linux, the mousewheel works for both machines. Under FreeBSD, the
mouse wheel works for only one machine. The XF86Config files for the two
FreeBSD setups are identical except for the Graphics card driver. Here's
the relevant section:

> Section "InputDevice"
>       Identifier      "Mouse1"
>       Driver          "mouse"
>       Option          "Protocol" "Auto"
>       Option          "Device" "/dev/sysmouse"
>       Option          "Buttons" "5"
>       Option          "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"

Similarly relevant sections of /var/log/XFree86.0.log identical for both
machines:

> (**) Option "Device" "/dev/sysmouse"
> (**) Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
> (**) Mouse1: ZAxisMapping: buttons 4 and 5
> (**) Mouse1: Buttons: 5
> (II) Keyboard "Keyboard1" handled by legacy driver
> (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Mouse1" (type: MOUSE)
> (II) Mouse1: SetupAuto: hw.iftype is 4, hw.model is 0
> (II) Mouse1: SetupAuto: protocol is SysMouse
> (**) Option "BaudRate" "1200"

However the kernel detection is different:

Machine A (with working scrolling)

> psm0: failed to get data.
> psm0: <PS/2 Mouse> irq 12 on atkbdc0
> psm0: model IntelliMouse, device ID 3

Machine B (without)

> psm0: failed to get data.
> psm0: <PS/2 Mouse> irq 12 on atkbdc0
> psm0: model Generic PS/2 mouse, device ID 0

Similarly moused detection is different:

Machine A:

> moused -p /dev/psm0 -i all
/dev/psm0 ps/2 sysmouse IntelliMouse

Machine B:

> moused-p /dev/psm0 -i all
/dev/psm0 ps/2 sysmouse generic

I'm quite new to FreeBSD (although running in production already ;), can
anyone help?

Thanks,

Richard

--