Date:      Mon, 17 Mar 1997 06:28:24 -0600
From:      Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de (Joerg Wunsch)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Which lists for discussion.

joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de (Joerg Wunsch) replies:

>As mika ruohotie wrote:
>
>> while i post, to me it sounds a nice idea to twiddle the naming like it
>> was suggested...
>>
>> 2.1.x	stable
>> 2.2.x	current
>> 3.0.x	future	(experimental?)
>
>Well, we've been referring to the experimental stuff as -current for
>all the time.  I'm afraid it's simply too late switching paradigms
>now, since it would confuse the hell out of the users.

I can also argue that all 2.2 discussion has always been on "current"
and never on "stable". Rather than move the 2.2 discussion, we could
equally move the 3.0 discussion.

Legacy is a poor excuse to continue a BAD decision.

Although you point out that "seasoned" users might suffer confusion
from a name change, I will argue that new users DO SUFFER from the
present state of affairs. This in turn leads to a greater load on
the group who repeatedly have to explain that "stable" is, at best
shaky, and that the latest release is never "current".

Although, at some time in the future, we might return to the use
of the terms "stable" and "current" with a meaning that is more in
line with their English meaning, the solution which avoids the
ambiguity is to establish a new naming convention and transition
everyone to it.

We can even use Majordomo to help wean the "caught in a rut" old
timers who cannot break the habit of sending mail to "current" by
having it forward that mail to "2.2" and "3.0" and, at the same time,
send a polite message back to the originator indicating that the
list is deprecated.