Date:      Fri, 06 Feb 1998 15:14:36 -0500
From:      "Daniel M. Eischen" <deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org>
To:        bannai@best.com
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: VME support!!

> I have a 486 board with a VME port. I intend to run FreeBSD on it and
> interface to the VME boards that attach to it. As far as I can tell, there
> is no support for a VME bus in FreeBSD.

No, but this is something I really want also.  We've got a
similar Pentium-based board with a PCI<->VME bridge chip (Tundra)
here at work.  I'm busy on another project, and haven't had
the chance to add support for this chip to FreeBSD.

If all you want to do is be able to map VME addresses to the
PCI bus, it isn't really that hard (given that you know how
to program the bridge chip).  You could write a simple driver
to do this and make the VME addresse space available to a userland
program.  Adding support for multiple VME devices generating
interrupts is more complicated though.

> Can someone point me to any work which has been done in this area? I will
> be getting the details and data sheet of the VME controller chip. The
> board is sold by a company called Cyclone based out of Connecticut.

I'm in CT also, but haven't heard of them.  I just checked out
their web site, and saw mostly i960 boards but no Pentiums.

Dan Eischen
deischen@gdeb.com