Date:      Tue, 2 Oct 2012 06:12:27 -0400
From:      Rod Person <rodperson@rodperson.com>
To:        Erich Dollansky <erichfreebsdlist@ovitrap.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Port update hosed entire system

On Mon, 1 Oct 2012 09:57:05 +0700
Erich Dollansky <erichfreebsdlist@ovitrap.com> wrote:

> > Any help or ideas would be appreciated.
> >

> did you try to boot into single user mode?
>
> What shells do you have installed?
>
> Erich

This is the default shell. I didn't try that yet, because I don't want
to be left with no way to login at all if something is really messed up.

Since I could not even switch to a no console (ctrl+alt+f2...) and
login I'm not really wanting to reboot at this point.

--
Rod Person
http://www.rodperson.com

"First we got population.  The world today has 6.8 billion people.
That's headed up to about 9 billion. Now if we do a really great job on
new vaccines,  health care, reproductive health services, we lower that
by perhaps 10 or 15 percent."
 - Bill Gates