Date:      Fri, 10 Jan 1997 02:11:48 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        M.S.Powell@ais.salford.ac.uk (Mark Powell)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org, freebsd-scsifreeb@sdorgsd.org
Subject:   Re: Can the P/I-P55T2P4 be overclocked?  In other words does it                support 75 and 83MHz bus speeds?

Mark Powell stands accused of saying:

> Yeah, I know. I meant if the 875 wasn't supported I could use the 810 with
> narrow drives and still push the external clock speed to 75MHz. However,

That would be stupid.  The extra CPU performance would be more than offset
by the loss of disk performance in all but the most extreme cases.

> now you've enlightened me I can get the 875 and use it under FreeBSD with
> my wide drives and hopefully with a greater chance of success than with a
> 7880.

If you have several wide disks, the 7880 will probably give better
performance than the 875, all other things being equal.

> These chipsets are designed to accomodate the Cyrix P200+ which needs an
> external clock speed of 75MHz. They also support the Cyrix's "Linear Burst
> Mode" which can supposedly give a 3-5% speed improvement on cache filling.
> However, I agree and think I'd be going down a blind alley with such new
> chipsets. I'll stick with the 430HX chipset on the T2P4.

No!  You're not paying attention 8) You want an _FX_ chipset
motherboard, specifically for the improved CPU-memory bandwidth.  Even
the VX with all its corners cut is faster than the HX.  Don't kid
yourself that the extra few MHz of PCI speed will make major
differences to your performance, particularly if it means that
you sacrifice CPU-memory bandwidth to get it.

Spend some time looking for the real bottlenecks in the system rather
than trying to open paths that are already adequately wide.