Date:      Tue, 13 Mar 2001 11:32:48 +1100
From:      Tony Landells <ahl@austclear.com.au>
To:        toushek@canadiangeneral.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Rejected mail

Sendmail thinks that purplepages.ca is an alias for the local host.
I assume because you have it listed in sendmail.cw (since you're
running sendmail 8.9.3, sendmail.cw is the default name--if you've
changed it to something else then use that name wherever I've said
sendmail.cw).

If there's no real reason to have it in sendmail.cw, removing it
should force sendmail to use the MX records in DNS which appear
to point in the right direction.

The most obvious reason to have it in sendmail.cw is because
you think you need it so you can use virtusertable to support
your virtual web servers.  You don't.

If however you think you'd like to keep virtusertable (if that's
what's happening here), then for each domain put a final entry
that says

	@purplepages.ca		%1@mail.purplepages.ca

which should forward the mail to the same username at
mail.purplepages.ca.  (And don't forget to remake virtusertable.db!)

If you're not using the virtusertable, then provide some details
on what you're doing and you might get something better than
guesswork!

Cheers,
Tony
--
Tony Landells					<ahl@austclear.com.au>
Senior Network Engineer				Ph:  +61 3 9677 9319