Date:      Mon, 15 Mar 1999 01:46:00 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
To:        "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
Cc:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SONY SMO-C501-09 not recognized under CAM

On Sun, 14 Mar 1999, Kenneth D. Merry wrote:
> i.e., just add the asc == 0xa part in.

Indeed.

> That isn't the best solution for the problem, certainly.  A more
> permanent solution will require some more work.  I've got two ideas
> that would fix it, but I'll have to think about which one would be the
> best.
>
> I don't think it's a good idea to have 0xa be an "acceptable" error
> code for the da driver in the general case.  It's fine for this
> special case, but I'd rather not enable it for all devices.

Agree.

> Hmm, oh well.  Well, maybe Joerg's behaves differently.  Perhaps he can
> boot his system without the disc spinning.

Its probably a DIP switch setting.  I've no doc for the drives and
controller.

> > Any specific commands you want me to test?  I'm guessing I should compile
> > CAMDEBUG into the kernel if I'm to be of any use to you.
>
> Well, I think I've got a handle on things I suppose.  Does the drive
> return the 0xa error on boot when there is no media inserted?  What I
> want to make sure of is that the "Error log overflow" error wasn't
> brought on somehow by inserting/removing the device from the bus or
> from some other activity.

I'm fairly sure it does but I've not rebooted the box with the drive
attached.  I'll do so when I get a chance.

I've almost half a mind to ship you my spare but its not in an enclosure
and I really would rather have an extra in case one of the ones in the
library decides to go south.  I'll see if I can't pick up another one and
a media cart this week so I can ship you one.

Or we can wait a few weeks until the box is on net and I give you a
sandbox account to play around in.

--
| Matthew N. Dodd  | 78 280Z | 75 164E | 84 245DL | FreeBSD/NetBSD/Sprite/VMS |
| winter@jurai.net |      This Space For Rent     | ix86,sparc,m68k,pmax,vax  |