Date:      Sun, 18 Jun 2000 22:28:23 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Parag Patel <parag@cgt.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Anybody working on FreeBSD BIOS?

In message <77540.961121665@pinhead.parag.codegen.com> Parag Patel writes:
: manage their rack-mount systems remotely using the serial port without
: video and without a keyboard - something that few motherboards support.

Might I point out that there is the console weasil (or something to
that effect) that converts memory mapped video -> serial output.  I
haven't used them yet, however, and don't recall the URL.

: One problem with flash disks and such is that by the time the machine is
: ready to boot from one, it's already well past where you'd like to have
: control over the BIOS settings.

This is true.  You have to set things up correctly in the BIOS.
However, I've been booting of DOC2k and CF cards for about 6 months
(no, wait, it is more like 9-10 months at this point) and this works
well for our embedded systems.

I looked at putting an OS image into the end of the flash used to hold
the BIOS and punted on that as taking too much time and generally that
it would be too hard to update.

Warner