Date:      Thu, 27 Sep 2001 17:13:19 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Kutulu <kutulu@kutulu.org>
Cc:        Mike Porter <mupi@mknet.org>, swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen), freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 127/8 continued

> Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 18:29:26 -0400
> From: Kutulu <kutulu@kutulu.org>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> At 04:25 PM 09/27/2001 -0600, Mike Porter wrote:
>

> >OK, then I was wrong.  The broadcast is (normally) the last address in the
> >subnet (.255 for a class C, .255 for my subnet ( with a .128 netmask, but I
> >am in the top half.  I presume that those with IP's below .129 have .127 set
> >for a broadcast, with .128 being the other unusable address.  I forget
> >exactly what its for?)
>
> The two reserved addresses are the network address and the broadcast
> address.  The network address is all host bits zero, and the broadcast
> address is all host bits 1.
>
> Thus, for a network of 192.168.0.0 with a netmask of 255.255.255.128, there
> would be two subnets:
>
> 192.168.0.0 <network address> - 192.168.0.127 <broadcast address>
> 192.168.0.128 <network address> - 192.168.0.255 <broadcast address>
>
> The exact math is a pair of pretty basic bitwise functions, which most any
> networking essentials book will have in it, but that's the general
> idea.  But now we're really getting off the subject of freebsd-stable. :)

This is a good explanation of the use of the first and last address of
any CIDR block, if you are trying to get maximum use from a small
space assignment (like a /29), there is really no reason to waste half
of a /30. Neither the broadcast nor the network address really serve a
useful purpose on /30.

RFC 3021 describes a better way of addressing directly connected links
so half the space is not wasted. a /31 is used for each connection
allowing for 4 point to point connections from a /29.

Whether FreeBSD routers can be configured to do this, I can't say, but
I suspect manual route commands would do the job. I know Juniper
routers support this capability.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)