Date:      Sun, 21 Jan 1996 20:31:09 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Mike Pritchard" <mpp@mpp.minn.net>
To:        tparker@greenapple.com (Tim Parker)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Cd-Rom Compatibility ??'s

Tim Parker wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I hope I chose the correct list for this question. I am trying to install
> FreeBSD 2.0.5 to my machine, The problem that I am having is my CD-Rom
> drive, it is a Wearnes Tech. "Beethoven" CDD-110 it runs off of a
> proprietary interface card. Is it possible to get the CD to work with
> 2.0.5?? Thanks for any help anyone can give me.

I also have one of those CD-ROM drives.  Last summer I left a message on
their support BBS asking about getting programming info for the drive and
told them I wanted them to develop a FreeBSD driver for the drive, and
they basically said "no way, but we will have a driver for xxx soon".
"xxx" being something I had never heard of and was totally unrelated to
any type of UNIX in any way.  They stated that the programming interface
was proprietary and they would not release it.

Now, if someone can get me the programming info for this drive, I'll be
more than happy to work on a driver, since I really would like to be able
to use it under FreeBSD.
--
Mike Pritchard
mpp@minn.net