Date:      Thu, 7 Aug 1997 14:12:16 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        dk+@ua.net
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Moving to a more current BIND

> > The secondary MX contains the DNS records for the target of the
> > CNAME, and is the primary for the domain in which it is located.
>
> are you talking about MX pointing to CNAME or NS pointing to CNAME?

Here is the secondary for when the machine is booted in FreeBSD:

; zone 'lambert.org'   last serial 199609260
; from 161.28.224.20   at Wed Apr 16 02:26:39 1997
$ORIGIN org.
lambert		IN	SOA	park.uvsc.edu. terry.lambert.org. (
		199704160 21600 3600 2419200 86400 )
		IN	NS	park.uvsc.edu.
; Ignoring info about park.uvsc.edu, not in zone lambert.org.
; $ORIGIN uvsc.edu.
; park	566122	IN	A	161.28.224.20
$ORIGIN org.
lambert		IN	NS	sting.artisoft.com.
		IN	MX	10 phaeton.artisoft.com.
		IN	MX	20 coyote.artisoft.com.

sting.artisoft.com is an alias for phaton.artisoft.com, and is
delegated to an IP alias which varias based on what OS the physical
machine is booted under, in order o make the MX records not refer
to itself unless the machine is booted FreeBSD.

Basically, the "phaeton" MX blinks on and off in DNS for whatever
IP "sting" is an alias for at the moment.

Anyway, that's enough information about this.  The fact is, it
works, despite BIND's whining, when the primary DNS is down and
phaeton is subtracted out by virtue of being DNS software running
on an OS other than FreeBSD.  This is a typical configuration for
when the physical hardware phaeton resides on is booted to another
OS (NetBSD, OpenBSD, Windows95, Windows NT, OS/2, Linux).

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---