Date:      Thu, 1 Feb 1996 19:49:31 -0700
From:      Wes Peters <wes@btsslc.com>
To:        Angel Ortiz <angelo@tawny.ssd.hcsc.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Where Can I find a X debugger for g++

Angel Ortiz writes:
 > Questions:
 >
 > I have your FreeBSD version 2.1 product.  I have developed some C++
 > programs and would like to know where can I find a X version of gdb.

There's two ways to go on this:  First, you can locate and build xxgdb,
which is an X11 interface to gdb.  I've never used it much, but I know
a few others who are addicted to the Borland IDE mentaility and find it
useful.

You can also run GDB from inside Emacs -- the UNIX IDE mentality.  If
you're already an Emacs user, or have been considering it, this is a
good time to learn.

 > Also, can you tell me if it would be worth my time and efforts to upgrade
 > to a more recent release of gcc/g++, what are there names and where can I
 > find them?

GCC 2.7.2 and libg++ 2.7.1 are available, but unless you need one of
the new features, I can't recommend changing right now.  The major
difference between 2.6, which FreeBSD 2.1 comes with, and 2.7 is
support for exceptions, which is still pretty experimental.

There were some fixes made for code optimization in the FreeBSD
version of 2.6 that have not yet been folded back into the main GCC
development path, so sticking with the system-supplied compiler will
give you the most reliable code right now.

--

                        I'd rather be sailing.

Wes Peters                      BTS SLC                          wes@btsslc.com