Date:      Tue, 25 Feb 2003 21:22:35 -0800
From:      walt <wa1ter@myrealbox.com>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: "NTLDR missing" after 5-RELEASE install

Matt Smith wrote:
> What does your Drive Layout look like?  Is your W2k partition FAT32?
> Has it always been the first partition on the drive, or did you move it,
> using something like partition magic?  Is freeBSD in the extended
> partition?
> -Matt
> On Tue, 2003-02-25 at 11:58, Andrew Boothman wrote:
>
>>Quoting Lucas Holt <luke@foolishgames.com>:
>>

>>>It probably is.  You need to put in the win 2k CD and do a repair on
>>>your windows install.. unfortunetely this may screw up your freebsd
>>>install.

>>Thanks for replying!
>>
>>I can't understand how the 5.x boot manager has managed to break my windows
>>boot, i've never had any trouble under 3.x or 4.x, both of which played with
>>windows perfectly nicely.
>>
>>I think i've tried all of the various repair options on the Win2k CD, including
>>getting it to do a fresh installation into a different folder (c:\tempwin), but
>>even that failed with the "NTLDR missing" message! However you no longer get
>>the booteasy (F1.... F2) menu anymore, so Windows must have rewritten
>>something. It still doesn't explain why Win2k still won't boot.

My experience with the FBSD boot manager is virtually zero, so I can't
address it's workings, but I use GRUB as a booter just because it gets
me out of so many jams like yours -- if something isn't where you thought
it was you can point GRUB at your disks and let it do the looking for you.

The secret is to make a boot floppy with GRUB installed on it.  Once you
have that there's no machine that's unbootable, and you can reinstall GRUB
in seconds if it gets overwritten by Bill & Co.

For example, IIRC, I just went thru this myself (although it's all so routine
now I can't even remember what I do to bail out anymore) when I installed XP
on a brand new disk and then installed FBSD afterwards.  I got the MBR screwed
up just like you, then ran the XP install disk in "Repair" mode which got XP
to boot again but overwrote the FBSD booter.  So all I did was boot my trusty
GRUB floppy and reinstalled GRUB on the MBR in about 60 seconds and -- done.

The next evil news is that I've never really gotten FBSD's incarnation of
GRUB to work right for me, so I just install in on the floppy from a linux
machine and use that for the FBSD machine.

If you have access to GRUB and need instructions I'd be happy to help.
Just let me know.