Date:              Tue, 20 Jul 99 18:27:46 EDT
From:      Marius <MBKING0@VM.SC.EDU>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:        Re: vinval buf: dirty bufs

It is funny, now that I want it to crash, I am having trouble.
See the end for details.

>On Sunday, 18 July 1999 at 17:14:46 -0400, Marius wrote:
>>
>> If I can seeminly surf till my heart is content, but it creates problems
>> later.  I need only look at half a dosen web sites, and then I cannot
>> shutdown properly.  When I try to shutdown I get this error:
>>
>> panic
>> vinval buf: dirty bufs
>> automatic reboot in 15 seconds

>This is a serious kernel problem, probably in the disk subsystem.

*snip*

>I can't imagine what your problem is.  It's possible that it's related
>to your hardware.  To even get close to the problem, we'd need to know
>what your hardware and software configuration is.  Probably we'd need
>a panic dump as well.

>Greg
>--
>See complete headers for address, home page and phone numbers
>finger grog@lemis.com for PGP public key

I run FreeBSD 3.1 Release
      X-Free86-3.3.3.1
      Netscape-navigator-4.5
On a 75 megahetz Intel pentium
     with 40MB of RAM
      and 80MB of swap (Normally mounted on /tmp as a mfs)

I only got the system to dump once.  I enabled "dumpdev="/dev/wd1s2b" in
/etc/rc.conf.  (Dumping to my 80MB swap partition)   I rebooted and pushed the
system to panic by a short jaunt of web surfing.  It went through a coredump,
numbers piled up on the screen, and finally a message that the dump had
completed sucesfully.
    When I rebooted, the savecore was detected.  It listed the time, date, and
the reason for the dump. (vinval buf: dirty bufs)  But on the last line it
said that the dump was unsucessful "not enough free space on device"  Would
my dump really be more then 80MB?
    As I said before, I normally have my swap space mounted on /tmp as a
memory file system.  I wondered if the mfs was responcible for the unsucessful
dump. So I removed it from /etc/fstab and rebooted.
   Since then, I have not gotten the system to panic.  It haven't had time to
put it though a terrible stress test, but it normally paniced on less then
I did in my tests.  Could the removal of the mfs have fixed the problem?
Either way, I am probably doing something wrong when I try to do a savecore
dump.  I will have to look into that later.  In the mean time, does any of
this info help?