Date:      Tue, 8 Jun 2004 11:15:17 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
To:        jmlewis@dslextreme.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: fstab

> The last time I edited this file my system ceased to boot. I have made what
> looks to me like a valid entry. This is the same thing I entered in last
> time. I am not going to save this but does it look valid to anyone out there?
>

> # Device                Mountpoint      FStype  Options         Dump    Pass#
> /dev/ad0s1b             none            swap    sw              0       0
> /dev/ad0s1a             /               ufs     rw              1       1
> /dev/ad0s1f             /tmp            ufs     rw              2       2
> /dev/ad0s1g             /usr            ufs     rw              2       2
> /dev/ad0s1e             /var            ufs     rw              2       2
> /dev/acd0c              /cdrom          cd9660  ro,noauto       0       0
> /dev/acd1c              /cdrom1         cd9660  ro,noauto       0       0
>
> This is the line I added
> /dev/ad1s1              /disk2          ufs     rw              2      2

Well, did you really create a file system on ad1s1 - the whole
slice.   Probably, best if you also go in to disklabel(8) and
make at least one partition on that slice.

do   "disklabel -e -r ad1s1"

Edit the file.   I think it should come up with a c: line that has a type
called 'unused' (it has been quite a while since I added a virgin disk so
my memory may be flakey here).   It would look something like:

 c: 78059835        0    unused        0     0         # (Cyl.    0 - 4858)

Copy that c: line and hange it to something like:

 a: 78059835        0    4.2BSD        0     0         # (Cyl.    0 - 4858)

Leave all the numbers the same - just change the 'c:' to 'a:' and
the 'unused' to '4.2BSD'

Then use newfs(8) to create a filesystem on it:

do   "newfs /dev/ad1s1a"

If the number of inodes it automatically creates or some other
such thing doesn't suit you, then you will need to insert some
parameters on the newfs command, but usually just the bare newfs
like that will work just fine.

and then put the following in your fstab:

/dev/ad1s1a              /disk2          ufs     rw              2      2

I think you can talk to it as the whole slice without a partition
but it is not the usual way and not worth bothering with so, just
do as indicated.

If you are using /stand/sysinstall to run the fdisk, disklabel and newfs
commands for you, then make the related decisions - eg create one large
slice for FreeBSD on the ad1 disk, don't make it bootable or have any MBR
(that's fdisk), then partition the slice with just one partition (a), use
the 'c' for create partition and then just put all the blocks in to it and
make it a file system (FS) with the mount point you want to use (that covers
the disklabel, newfs and editing fstab).  Back out and select Commit and
it should take care of everything else for you.   Some prefer sysinstall
but I generally prefer doing the fdisk, disklabel, newfs and fstab myself
for disks beyond the initial install slice.   It's that control thing.

////jerry