Date:      Mon, 3 Jul 95 13:57:44 EDT
From:      jleppek@suw2k.ess.harris.com (James Leppek)
To:        tom@uniserve.com
Cc:        freebsd-current@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: ppp

How did you configure your netblazer(what they have) to do this?
was it configured to assert a particular IP based on password like most?
As I indicated, I asked that they should certainly refused IP's they
do not have authority over as a minimum, but I have no "real"
ability to do anything. I also love to constantly hear "the windows
and linux users do not have a problem" AAARRRRGGGG

I think this thread is loosing focus so let me try to get it
back on track :-)

what is magic about 192.0.0.1? should ppp map a users configuration
request to some arbitrary alternate IP. Set ifaddr is there for
a purpose and even gives "ifaddr 0 0" in an example.

I know that ppp supports negotiation, the real issue is the
remapping without considerable justification. This is
simply not intuitive.

PPP supports negotiation but I do not believe the standard says
what IP's are reserved or negotiable. All we are doing is overriding
a user configuration, which is the opposite of what the config file is
for!

Atsushi sent me a long example of a negotiation session thats starts
with
set ifaddr 0 0

and a negotiation phase that starts with 192.0.0.1 !!!!

If he wanted 192.0.0.1 he should have entered set ifaddr 192.0.0.1 0
This is the EXPECTED behavior while the assumption that the provider
knows that 192.0.0.1 is "wrong" is not.

I do not know how to make the point much clearer.

This is not a ppp negotiation discussion, that works.

This is not a "ISP ppp is broken" discussion, they conform to the
standard although not in an EXPECTED fashion.
They are not filtering/refusing some IP address's, although they refuse an
invalid one, which is the expected behavior. If they would have accepted
0.0.0.0 then I would say they are broken.

This is a discussion about EXPECTED behavior.
If I configure my ppp to start negotiating with 0.0.0.0 why would
I expect to see that become 192.0.0.1??????

IF this doesn't make it clear from a users point, I guess I will
have to give up :-)

I yield the thread...

Thanks

Jim Leppek