Date:      Fri, 18 Jul 2003 09:01:51 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Tobias Roth <roth@iam.unibe.ch>
Cc:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dmesg showing wrong frequency (IBM T30)

> Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 17:46:51 +0200
> From: Tobias Roth <roth@iam.unibe.ch>
>
> On Fri, Jul 18, 2003 at 08:07:56AM -0700, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> > Were you on AC or battery when you booted?
> >
> > It seems that the T30 (and many other laptops from multiple vendors)
> > does not change the CPU speed when APM/ACPI from FreeBSD tells it
> > to. If I boot on battery, my system stays at 1.2 GHz and if I boot on
> > AC power, the system runs 1.8 GHz. Changes to the power source made
> > after it is up seem to have no effect.
>
> i was on AC all the time. i tried all combinations in the bios
> (speedstep on/off, max performance setting, ...), always the same.
>
> how do you detect what clockspeed your system runs at? did your dmesg
> ever show something close to 1.8GHz?
>
> also, windows is always detecting those 1.2GHz, which indicates for me
> that the problem is not within the freebsd apm/acpi implementation.
> i am compiling -current at the moment to see what acpi is reporting.
>
> but then, the system is going back to ibm anyway because the second ram
> slot dies (a known problem). this will possibly force them to switch
> the mainboard, and i will then see whether the new cpu gets detected
> differently (and maybe even my ovberheating problems will be solved).

I watch my CPU speed with the gkx86info plug-in for gkrellm. At this
time the plug-in in ports is for gnome1.4, but there is a gnome2
release available that I built and use on FreeBSD. (I really should
turn it into a port and submit it.)
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)