Date:      Tue, 30 Jan 1996 23:24:05 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD CD-R driver alpha available

As Fred Cawthorne wrote:

> > You could have used an explicit
> >
> > wormcontrol prepdisk double

> I did this.

Hmm.

> " Switching from emulation mode to real mode (or vice-versa) is not allowed
> if the PMA needs to be updated.  After an (emulated) PMA update (open/start)
> one is allowed to switch the write modes "

Well, i haven't been reading something like this in the Plasmon
manual.  It's quite possible that it has the same restriction.

I've also noticed today that we're still getting one Unit Attention
too much at the first wormcontrol command after inserting the disk.
A single

	scsi -f /dev/rworm0.ctl -c "0 0 0 0 0 0"

fixes this, so we need to stuff this into the worm_open() function.

> I suspect that the emulated PMA update was performed when I ejected
the disk.

Perhaps it's best to eject the disk after the (perhaps even dummy)
fixation?

> So, I don't think this is a really serious bug or anything, but it might be
> a good idea to put an UPDATE PMA command, (0xEA) into the HP quirks stuff.

Hmm, i haven't seen this command in the Plasmon reference.  Maybe it
wasn't that obvious, but perhaps they simply don't have it.

> BTW, should I make an entry and subroutines for the HP and try them out and
> post diffs or something?

Yup, including the override record for scsiconf.c, please.  You could
send it to the list, or also directly to me, whatever you prefer.
Please, make the HP quirks four separate functions, even where they
are identical to the Plasmon quirks.  The functions are relatively
short anyway, and this will make it easier to LKMize the quirks stuff
some day.

--
cheers, J"org