Date:      Fri, 4 Apr 1997 06:17:51 -0500 (EST)
From:      Thomas David Rivers <ponds!rivers@dg-rtp.dg.com>
To:        ponds!camelot.de!knarf, ponds!lakes.water.net!rivers
Cc:        ponds!freebsd.org!freebsd-hackers
Subject:   Re: kern/2923: panic: vm_fault: fault on nofault entry, addr: f6e21000

> Hello,
>
> Thomas David Rivers wrote:
>
> >  I believe it to be a timing problem in the kernel.  A heavy load just
> > gives you a greater opportunity (as a percentage of time) to trip over
> > the problem.  Again; this also happens on my extremely lightly loaded
> > (i.e. only a shell) system I put together just to reproduce this problem.
>
> I have the same problem here on a medium loaded newsserver (6 GB
> newsspool). I get "panic: vm_fault: fault on nofault entry, addr:
> f6718000" with different values for addr. I updated from 2.1.5 to
> 2.2.1 about 48 hours before I've seen this problem the first time.
>
> I really have no idea what to do now. The machine always reboots
> some minutes after the crash. Running fsck on 10 GB disks all the
> time is no fun... :/

 Well - this doesn't sound like exactly the same problem -  although
I can easily imagine it's just a frustrating.

> If you have any idea how I can make the uptime 6 hrs or higher, please
> tell me!

 Since I'm guessing this is a different problem; if you'll provide
the kgdb traceback and an nm of your kernel (are you running a 2.2.1
GENERIC kernel?) and details of your system - it's quite possible your
problem isn't as thorny as mine and can be much more readily repaired.

> Thank you,
> Knarf
> --
>   Frank Bartels   |UUCP/ZModem/Fax: +49 89 8948040| "Captain, why not just
>  knarf@camelot.de | http://www.camelot.de/~knarf/ | give the Borg Windows?"

	- Dave Rivers -