Date:      Wed, 21 Jul 2010 19:37:39 +0800
From:      Aiza <aiza21@comclark.com>
To:        Valentin Bud <valentin.bud@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, Vincent Hoffman <vince@unsane.co.uk>
Subject:   Re: new jail utility is available. announcement.
References:  <4C452644.6060508@comclark.com> <20100720134205.3168f4f1@scorpio> <4C45EA1C.6070601@comclark.com> <20100720153209.74ec26e6@scorpio> <4C45FCE1.7010006@comclark.com> <20100720163651.0daf727d@scorpio> <AANLkTine1n4rMfnWd-oiQHe1PY2mBtGDpMdGgI_W0TR4@mail.gmail.com> <4C46BAAD.5000507@unsane.co.uk> <4C46C356.6000101@comclark.com> <AANLkTinBhwUmWfjBbpdY3GI-WKk2kwoE_eW27kxoS0ZH@mail.gmail.com>

Valentin Bud wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 12:52 PM, Aiza <aiza21@comclark.com> wrote:
>
>>  Not yet, when I have a spare box I might, although I quite like using
>>> zfs for jails as you can limit the disk usage dynamically per zfs
>>> filesystem and I didnt see any support there yet, even basic support
>>> like there is with ezjail would be nice.
>>>

>> Zfs was left out because its over kill. Sparse image jails gives the same
>> protection at a 10th of the overhead.
>>

> Hello community,
>
>  ZFS shouldn't be left out. Besides limiting the disk usage dynamically per
> zfs FS
> you have another big advantage - snapshots. Suppose you want to upgrade
> ports
> is a jail and something goes kaboom you just revert to the previous working
> snapshot.
>  I agree you can copy the image back and forth but zfs snapshots are faster
> and not
> that space consuming.
>
>  The layout that I plan to use is the following:
>
> storage/jails
>                   |>storage/jails/group1
>                   |                                 |
> |>storage/jails/group1/jail1
> |>storage/jails/group1/jail2
>                   |>storage/jails/group2
>                   |                                 |> ...
>
> Group can be any kind of characteristic you want to take into account
> regarding
> those jails (eg. group1 - mail servers, group2 - web servers, groupX -
> companyY, etc.).
> You can also go with more levels of depth but for me it's enough.
>
> This way if your server doesn't handle all the jails you have running,
> simply
> buy new hardware, install FBSD (or just copy the ZFS root container over to
> the new
> system) and migrate the jails over.
>
> I am waiting for network stack virtualization to come out and dreaming about
> live jails
> migration in the future of FBSD :).
>
> I would like you to reconsider ZFS support and thanks for qjail :).
>
> a great day,

What you are doing behind the jail system back using zfs, qjail does
with the -z zone option right up front. And the archive and restore of
qjail jails is less than 3 seconds right now. How much faster does it
need to be?