Date:      Fri, 21 Mar 2003 13:47:35 -0500
From:      Matthew Donadio <m.p.donadio@ieee.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   4.8-RC, XFree86 4.3.0, and GDM

[ This was originally sent to freebsd-quesions, but upon second thought,
it is probably more appropriate here ]

Hi all,

I am having some trouble with GDM and I was wondering if anyone can
either confirm the problem or shed some light on it.

I track the STABLE tree (release=cvs tag=RELENG_4) and ports tree
(release=cvs tag=.) with cvsup.  I held off a little while to upgrade my
system to XFree86 4.3.0, but did the build last night.

I brought everything up to date with cvsup, rebuilt world and kernel,
installed, rebooted, and then used portupgrade (portupgrade -rR XFree86)
to rebuild X.  I also used portupgrade -rR to bring some gnome2
libraries uptodate.  All of the builds were successful.

uname -a says I am running 4.8-RC
pkg_version has '=' for everything.

Users and root can do a startx to start gnome2 sessions.  Everything
works fine.

If I enable gdm, then root can login, but users can't.  I get an error
message saying that the session lasted less than 10-seconds, and to
check .xsession-errors.  They can't login with the failsafe modes,
either.

.xsession-errors is empty
/var/log/messages has a error: gdm[XXX]: run_session_child: Could not
open ~/.xsession-errors

I then created a new user, and was able to login with gdm, but I got
root's session (shells started in /root, Nautilus brought up /root,
etc).

I renamed ~/.gnome2/gdm for an old user and the same thing happened.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on here?  Is this a bug?

Thanks.

--
Matthew Donadio (m.p.donadio@ieee.org)