Date:      Thu, 2 Dec 1999 16:33:44 +0100 (CET)
From:      Nick Hibma <hibma@skylink.it>
To:        Christopher Masto <chris@netmonger.net>
Subject:   Re: PCCARD eject freeze (was Re: your mail)

> There are other contexts for the same issues anyway.  USB has devices
> that go away suddenly, and it _is_ designed to be hot-removable, so
> people are going to be pulling the plug on network adapters, ZIP
> drives, etc.  We need drivers that are capable of going away cleanly,
> or at least without a panic.

If a USB device all of a sudden disappears, in the middle of a
transaction for example, the transaction simply fails. This means that
all is needed is proper error checking on all functions that return an
error.

PCMCIA has the problem that the hardware register you are talking to can
disappear on the spot, between 2 outb()s.

Nick