Date:      Thu, 16 May 2002 22:58:58 -0700
From:      Jonathan Mini <mini@freebsd.org>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
Cc:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>, jhb@freebsd.org, Perforce Change Reviews <perforce@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: PERFORCE change 11120 for review

Peter Wemm [peter@wemm.org] wrote :

> Jonathan Mini wrote:
>
> > The only problem he foresaw was that the init/fini functions could be called
> > by the pager daemon, but I don't see any problem there either.
>
> Somewhere along the way we were planning to put in code that checked for
> things that *might* call tsleep() and trap mutexes being held.  I dont know
> if the UMA stuff calls tsleep (directly or indirectly) or not, but it was
> my understanding that it is a Bad Idea(TM) to call anything that can tsleep
> with a mutex held.

I think maybe you misunderstand. The problem isn't that the pager calls the
uma init/fini functions, but rather that *my* init/fini functions may block
inside the VM.

--
Jonathan Mini <mini@freebsd.org>
http://www.haikugeek.com

"He who is not aware of his ignorance will be only misled by his knowledge."
                                                        -- Richard Whatley