Date:      Sun, 19 May 2002 21:19:31 +0200
From:      Hans Ottevanger <hansot@iae.nl>
To:        qa@freebsd.org
Subject:   4.6-RC2 install problems with AOpen ATAPI CD-ROM

Hi folks,

I downloaded the 4.6-RC2 ISO today and tried an installation on a few
quite different machines (Pentium 66, Pentium 200MMX and two Dual
Celerons).

The only machine where I succeeded was a Dual Celeron equiped with a
Plextor ATAPI 12/10/32 CD-RW. The others have an AOpen ATAPI CD-ROM
drive (48X or 52X) and failed with messages like :

acd0:  READ_BIG command timeout - resetting
ata3:  resetting devices .. done

while installing the first tarball.

On the P66 and P200 the message is repeated three times, after which the
installation stops, but the system is still responsive. The Dual Celeron
(ABit BP6 based) crashes with a fatal trap 12.

I also did an NFS install (from the system with the Plextor drive), and
then all systems install perfectly. However, on the installed systems
accessing large files on CD-ROM caused the same timeouts again, followed
by a crash on the BP6.

All machines functioned perfectly when installing 4.5-RELEASE, and using
4.5-STABLE up to a few weeks ago.

I think this problem is already described in PR 37420. It also seems to
occur with Creative CD-ROM drives. Can we do something about it, before
4.6 is released ? Otherwise this bug will prevent 4.6 from being
installed on quite some hardware.

Of course I can provide far more details about the hardware used, if
needed. I can also do some additional experiments.

Kind regards,

Hans