Date:      Sun, 16 May 1999 06:00:26 -0700
From:      Steve Rubin <ser@tch.org>
To:        Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely.de>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ifconfig: changing mac address

> Yes Etherchannel uses some other mechanism to balance the load.

Its acually worse :)

Cisco Etherchannel requires the device attached to speak a special protocol
to keep things working.  You can not just take any system, put 2 NIC's in it
plug it into a cisco switch, and expect it to work.  It wont (well, atleast
it wont have the desired result).  If you turn on fast etherchannel on the
port, the switch will expect to be able to talk to the device with the
"etherchannel" protocol.  If it cant, it will not activate the ports.

But I do beleive it is worthwhile for us to support this, I beleive the
spec is open?  I will check with cisco.

--
Steve Rubin - ser@tch.org - http://www.tch.org/~ser/