Date:      Mon, 30 Jan 1995 21:36:42 -0800
From:      fod@netcom.com (Frank O'Donnell)
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        fod@netcom.com
Subject:   Problem booting from 2nd hard drive

Sorry to bother you with a basic question, but I wasn't able
to resolve this via the troubleshooting doc or the FAQ, etc.

I'm attempting to install FreeBSD 2.0 on a 486DX2-66 with 16
megs of RAM and two Maxtor 7546 IDE hard drives, each with
522 MB.  The first hard drive is taken up by an MS-DOS partition,
while the second drive I just added to the machine today.

I first used MS-DOS's fdisk to create a DOS partition on the
new drive and formatted it for DOS just to verify that it
worked.  Then I booted from my FreeBSD boot disk which I
created with rawrite.exe.

Following the instructions in the TROUBLESHOOTING doc, I
used the FreeBSD boot disk's fdisk to write a boot manager to
the first (MS-DOS) hard drive so I could pick which OS to boot
from when I powered up.  Then I exited from fdisk and went
back in and selected the second hard drive; here I deleted
the MS-DOS slice, specified to use the entire disk for
FreeBSD, and wrote an MBR to disk.  I then went into the
second utility to create partitions for root (/) (25 megs),
swap (64 megs, anticipating future RAM upgrade), and for
/usr (the remaining amount on the hard disk).  (The root
partition was at the beginning, so I don't think there would
be a problem with it exceeding the max size the system
could recognize).  I then wrote this and went on to
"Proceed"; at this point it said it was writing various
things to the disk and finally told me to reboot to start from
the hard disk (at which point I expected I'd use cpio to bring
in the bindist files).

When I rebooted, the boot manager from the first hard drive
came up and asked if I wanted F1 DOS or F5 other drive.  I
chose F5.  Now, at the "Boot:" prompt, per the instructions
in the TROUBLESHOOTING doc I entered "hd(1,a)/kernel".
Various status messages came up as it went through the boot
routine and located various devices.  Finally it said
"panic:  cannot mount root" and said it would automatically
reboot in 15 seconds.  I rechecked things a couple of times,
rerunning the fdisk and the partition editing, to no avail.

I did notice one strange message when I was trying to use the
boot manager to switch to the second hard drive and boot.
After picking F5 for other drive and entering "hd(1,a)/kernel)"
at the "Boot:" prompt, I noticed that it gave a status
message of "Booting wd(0,a)/kernel @ 0x100000".  Now, I
plead guilty to newbiedom, but if I entered "hd(1,a)/kernel",
shouldn't it say it's booting from wd(1,a), not wd(0,a)?

Thanks for any help -- I'm looking forward to trying out
FreeBSD.

Frank
fod@netcom.com