Date:      Tue, 14 Oct 2003 15:52:47 -0500
From:      Dave O <dso@mssystems.com>
To:        Wes Zuber <wes@uia.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: diskless/pxe booting problem...

Wes Zuber wrote:

> What about the
>
> /tmp/conf/default/etc/fstab ?
>
> --Wes

Initially I didn't have anything, not even that directory created.  I've
created and removed the /conf directory many times and must've confused
/conf/base with /conf/default.  Re-reading diskless(8) I see that that
is indeed where that file is supposed to be (thanks).

I went ahead and copied [/tmp]/etc to [/tmp]/conf/default/etc and still
the same result.  One thing that's been puzzling me that I haven't seen
in the archives is the message "missing device name".

 >> Mounting root from nfs:172.16.34.1:/tmp
 >> missing device name       <------
 >> setrootbyname failed
 >> NFS ROOT: 172.16.34.1:/tmp

I've enabled debugging in rc.diskless1 and haven't seen the results of
that so I assume that control hasn't been passed on to rc.diskless1.
Should I call rc.diskless1 explicitly in rc.conf?