Date:      Sun, 16 Feb 2020 10:10:47 -0800
From:      George Hartzell <hartzell@alerce.com>
To:        "\@lbutlr" <kremels@kreme.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Starting with poudriere

@lbutlr writes:
 > On 15 Feb 2020, at 21:43, Dan McGrath <danmcgrath.ca@gmail.com> wrot=
e:
 > > You would run "poudriere bulk", then sit back sipping coffee while=
 it
 > > churns through all of the packages.
 >
 > Hang on a second, so the intended use for poudriere is to build ALL
 > packages?

That's not a poudriere constraint, it's a packages vs. ports thing.
And it's not ALL PACKAGES, it's all the packages you intend to use.

You can run a system using pkgs, because the packages are built from a
single consistent ports tree.  If you're going to build and install
things from ports, you should build and install *all the things* from
ports so that you can guarantee that everything's using consistent
[versions/configurations of] dependencies.  If/when you update the
ports tree, you should rebuild *all the things* [that have changed].

You can sometimes get away with installing one or two things from
ports, but eventually, sadness happens.

Populating your own package repository with pkgs that you build from
ports gives you the best of both worlds.  You can manage your system
using the `pkg` tool and/but you get to choose the versions and
configuration of the ports you want to use.

 > Right now I have two jails setup, one for 12.1 amd64 and one for
 > 11.3 i386. That seems like a *LOT* of compiling/building.

I used to be able to build everything I needed to build a
postfix/dovecot/etc... mailserver (loosely this:
https://www.c0ffee.net/blog/mail-server-guide/) in under an hour on a
2-core 4GB server at ARP networks.  Sadly I learned to love ripgrep,
so now I need to build rust, which takes ages and ages.

 > And once I=E2=80=99ve build, say, ImageMagick or
 > postfix/doveco/.=3Dmariadb/apache/etc how do I then deploy them to
 > the 11.3 server (as in, a different machine)?

The digital ocean tutorial I pointed you at earlier explains this
nicely, in the "Configuring Package Clients" section.  Rather than
bother with nginx I just use:

s3cmd sync -F --delete-removed  /usr/local/poudriere/data/packages/12_1=
-ports/.latest/ s3://<BUCKET_NAME>/pkg-builder/packages/FreeBSD:12:amd6=
4-ports/

and then perhaps an `s3cmd setacl ...` to set permissions as required.

g.