Date:      Thu, 16 Jan 1997 18:26:43 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        gjennejohn@frt.dec.com
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Commerical applications (was: Development and validation tools...)

> maybe this should really be moved to chat ?

Done

> I talked to a German journalist at a trade show last year (from iX,
> one of the better UNIX rags here), and basically told him that they
> had too much of a Linux bent. His reply was basically "we can't publish
> articles we don't have."

Precisely.

> The German magazines seem to think that there are only 4 OSes: DOS,
> WINDOWS, NT and Linux. Whenever they talk about a non-M$ OS (although
> one can argue that M$ doesn't have any real OS), then it's ALWAYS Linux.
> Even the UNIX rags are like that.

I think this is our fault more than anything else.  As you just noted,
if nobody provides them with articles to publish about FreeBSD then
the OS world is going to look somewhat smaller to someone in the
publishing business.

The question is, what are we going to do about it?  I'd love to write
articles for every magazine on the planet, but I haven't got the
time. :-(

					Jordan