Date:      Sat, 21 Sep 1996 10:27:12 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@current1.whistle.com>
Cc:        Richard Heaton <Rich.Heaton@empac.com>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Job openings: Unix Network Programmers, Internet server

> Of course, as they are in direct competition with Whistle,
> we hope you'll talk to us too :)

Actually, since you mention it, you guys don't have to view this
entirely as "competition" and could actually share some of the
development work in areas where there's no "competetive advantage" to
give away.

Richard and I talked about this yesterday, and Empac feels that things
like general PPP improvements or bug fixes to the system should not be
viewed as competition points, it being in everyone's best interest to
make FreeBSD as robust and reliable a development platform as
possible.  The competetive advantages lie in what is placed on top,
not the foundation, and given that firms like Whistle and Empac are
both relatively small (certainly when compared to the Mighty
Microsoft), they'd do well to pool their resources if and whenever
possible.

Richard told me yesterday that Microsoft recently announced a
multi-billion (yes, billion) dollar initiative to make NT *the*
network operating system in 1997, and that's a whole heck of a lot of
money.  It's time for small companies involved with UNIX to pool their
efforts or Bill is going to eat them all.  He might eat them anyway,
in the long run, but I'd really hate to look back on this time and
reflect that we made it easy for him to do so by squabbling amongst
ourselves while Microsoft raced ahead.  I think the UNIX community has
already done far too much of that already and it's time for a change.

Perhaps we could set about identifying areas of common interest and
open a discussion on mutual development priorities?

					Jordan