Date:      Fri, 24 Apr 1998 05:05:32 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        julian@whistle.com (Julian Elischer)
Cc:        kjc@csl.sony.co.jp, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bandwidth throttling etc.

> I've been looking at the package mentionned below and find that it
> really is very good fro outgoing, however there is no literature at this
> time for lomitting INCOMING bandwidth. Below I make a proposal.

On this issue: i am looking at the integration of my dummynet stuff
within the ipfw code (mainly to use the classifier and ipfw control
routines already there).

looking at the ip_fw_chk routine, it returns a 32-bit identifier which
is currently 0, -1, or the port number (extended to 32-bit) for divert.
This value is used in case of divert also to avoid that the same rule
is applied twice.

I was thinking to change the return value from the divert port number
to the pointer (index ?) to the matching rule in the firewall check
(and since this is a 16-bit number, the remaining bits can be used
as flags for keep, discard, ...).

This would have a number of advantages in my opinion, including
the ability to do more complex processing since the rule can contain
specific info on what to do on the packet, and maybe even faster/better
processing when a packet has to do multiple pass through the classifier
(as in the case of the divert, but also dummynet, or bandwith limiters).

> What I wnat to do is to add a field to the mbuf pkhdr field that
> can hold a reference to a flow label or a CBQ class (as a
> specific example) so that the classification of a packet is
> available at any time once made. I then want to add code to
> the IPFW classifier to allow it to make that classification.

could you use the pointer to the rule as flow label ?

And how hard (i.e. impact to the rest of the code) would it be to
put the flow label in the mbuf header ?

> Incoming flow control will only really work for TCP, but that is enough

should you rather say "will only really work for responsive flows" ?

	cheers
	luigi