Date:      Tue, 13 Oct 1998 09:32:21 +0100
From:      Richard Smith <richard@jezebel.demon.co.uk>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        Questions FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Should a corrupt floppy disk cause a panic?

Doug White wrote:

> On Mon, 12 Oct 1998, Richard Smith wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > While reading a file off a particular msdos floppy disk I get:
> >
> > panic: isa_dmacheck: no physical page present
> > syncing disks... panic: msdosfs_lock: locking against myself
> >
> > ...and the system reboots.
>
> You ARE remembering to dismount your disks before ejecting them, right?

I don't get that far...

The sequence of events from a clean boot and logging in as root, are:
1) insert floppy
2) mount_msdos /dev/fd0 /floppy
3) cat /floppy/etc.tgz
4) panic...

I must reiterate that the floppy disk's image is indeed bad, dos chkdsk
reports that the first allocation unit of the file in question is
invalid.

With good floppy disks, I have no problem. The problem I have is not
with the fact that step 3) fails, but the severity of the failure mode.

Should msdosfs handle the failure mode rather than panicking? ie. Is it
a bug or a feature? :)

Thanks for responding,
Richard.

--