Date:      Thu, 25 Jan 2001 11:24:47 +0000
From:      simond@irrelevant.org
To:        Pete French <pfrench@firstcallgroup.co.uk>
Cc:        kaltorak@quake.com.au, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: anybody seen this one ?

On Thu, Jan 25, 2001 at 10:25:54AM +0000, Pete French wrote:
> > Yes I have seen this happen... Its not that the computer is frozen its that
> > the keyboard driver cant load because of a conflict, strange I know, but if
> > you look at the messages that scroll past when its loading into sysinstall you
> > will see the keyboard driver isnt loading...
>
> Aha, yes, found that. Returns '6'. No amount of BIOS tweaking has solved
> the problem as yet, though I have discovered that the two "identical"
> motherboads apparrently have slightly different BIOS revisions on them.
> I;ve set the two up with identical settings and identical cards in them
> now - one works, the other doesn't. However, as 3.4 still works on the
> machine I have a starting point to try and work out what the difference
> is between what 3.4 is doing and what 4.2 is doing.

I had this problem too a while back, I fixed it for myself at the time
by removing the flags 0x1 from the atkbd0 entry in the kernel config file,
this can also be done via boot -c and similar, I then managed to fix it
in the long term by playing with some options in my BIOS, it seemed to be
related to USB keyboards for some reason (despite me not using them)

--
Simon Dick					simond@irrelevant.org
"Why do I get this urge to go bowling everytime I see Tux?"