Date:      Tue, 16 Nov 2010 11:48:04 -0600
From:      "Zane C.B." <v.velox@vvelox.net>
To:        Logan Moore <logan@xentac.com>
Cc:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Using XOrg on a FreeBSD Server

--Sig_/HQ6b.3CA4xckX9fEg/yXho1

On Tue, 16 Nov 2010 19:14:35 +1300
Logan Moore <logan@xentac.com> wrote:

> I'm looking for some advice from some of the pro's here.
>=20
> I've set up FreeBSD on one of my servers, and I have a nice 24"
> 1920x1200 monitor plugged into it. It seems a shame to be  wasting
> such a decent monitor on a simple black and white terminal, so I've
> been contemplating installing XOrg on the server to get a bit of
> extra functionality from the terminals. I'm not thinking KDE or
> Gnome... just a simple window manager like one of the *box's or
> even just straight up xdm running terminals and maybe some basic
> GUI tools like a text editor/file manager.
>=20
> Should I be concerned about any security implications from using
> XOrg? Are there any reasons why I definitely should avoid
> installing XOrg?

I would suggest not using any thing graphical as that can make it
problematic to use with a IPKVM, which I would suggest using as there
is really no good reason in general to leave a monitor plugged into a
server.

There are not likely to be any security issues, if you don't have it
listening on a public interface.