Date:      Tue, 13 Jun 2000 00:08:17 -0700
From:      Chris Moline <chris@theboss.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   compile problems, cvsupping, and symbols

Hi.

I have a few questions that I haven't been able to figure out and I hope
someone can help me.

The first question is with compiling some programs from the ports tree. I
got sources for the curses devel kit, gcc 2.95, and code crusader. None of
them will compile. With curses I get tons of dereferencing pointer to
incomplete type. With code crusader my comp crashes really fast, sometimes
rebooting, sometimes just going black and freezing. With gcc it goes on
forever(I let it run for two hours, then several, then gave up) and as far
as I can tell it is in an infinite loop. No error messages are reported. I
don't think it is because of me or my compiler or my make program because I
have succesfully installed a good many other programs from ports. Currently
I am using the precompiled packages which work just great.
I would still like to know why they refuse to compile though.

My next problem is with the source code. I have been teaching myself c/c++
and would love to help out with freebsd but I can't read all the symbols.
What is the __P in the header files? What do the double underscores in
front of some functions mean? and so forth. Where can I find a good
resource on this stuff?

My last question is with cvsupping. I have a winmodem and so am forced to
keep windows because I can't afford to get a new modem. I was wondering if
it was possible to somehow upgrade by downloading the stuff I need to
windows, then moving the stuff to freebsd and then doing make buildworld
and such? Will I be able to just get the stuff I need?

Sorry for such a long email. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerly Chris Moline